If the proposed plan gets approved, there will be no off-leash anywhere on GGNRA lands in Marin with the exception of a small stretch of Rodeo Beach. Furthermore, many formerly dog friendly fire roads and trails are now off limits to dogs, even on leash: Coastal Single Track, Coastal Fire Road, Miwok Fire Road, Kaashi Way (Muir Beach lagoon Trail) and Oakwood Valley Trail, just to name a few.
In a nutshell, dog owners will have a measly 8 miles of trails to walk on with their dogs, but every inch on-leash. The only place in Marin where dog owners can have a leash free experience is the north end of Rodeo Beach--a dangerous stretch of beach with treacherous currents--that requires a long drive for all visitors, and adds to southern Marin’s already terrible traffic.
Currently dogs are allowed off-leash:
- Rodeo Beach
- South Rodeo Beach
- Loop Trail from Rodeo Beach parking lot up Coastal Trail paved road (Old Bunker Road) near Battery Townsley and return to Rodeo Beach on paved road.
- Oakwood Valley Fire Road and Oakwood Valley Trail from junction with Oakwood Valley Rd. to Alta Ave.
- Muir Beach
- Homestead Valley
- Alta Avenue (between Marin City & Oakwood Valley)
- Coastal Trail from GGBridge to junction with Wolf Ridge Trail.
- Wolf Ridge Loop (Coastal Trail to Wolf Ridge Trail: Wolf Ridge Trail to Miwok Trail back down to Coastal Trail).
Dogs will be banned on:
- South Rodeo Beach Trail
- South Rodeo Beach
- Oakwood Valley Trail
- Miwok Trail (from Tennessee Valley to Rt. 1 above Muir Beach)
- Coastal Trail (from the Golden Gate Bridge to Wolf Ridge Trail)
- Coastal Trail (all trails around Muir Beach)
- Wolf Ridge Loop (Coastal Trail - Wolf Ridge - Miwok - Coastal)
- Rhubarb Trail (GGNRA portion)
DOGS WILL BE allowed ON-LEASH ONLY:
- Oakwood Valley Fire Road (Renamed Oakwood Valley Meadow Trail)
- Muir Beach & Muir Beach Trail
- Homestead / Four Corners Area
- Homestead Fire Road
- Homestead Summit Trail
- Homestead HillEagle Trail
- Alta Avenue (Ridge between Marin City and Tam Valley)
- Orchard and Pacheco Fire Roads (Renamed Trails)
- Rodeo Beach Loop (Loop Trail from Rodeo Beach parking lot up Coastal Trail paved road (Old Bunker Road) near Battery Townsley and return to Rodeo Beach.
DOGs WILL BE ALLOWED OFF-LEASH:
- Rodeo Beach- Northern end where lagoon surface water and ocean are not connected.
Click here to See how this plan will affect Commercial Dog Walker's
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions